Monday, May 16, 2011

Chasms



This post is in response to this week's 100 Word Challenge, the word of the week is, if you couldn't guess by the title of this post, CHASM.
*side note: Sadly, after sitting and staring at the computer screen for about 25 minutes, I decided to give up on coming up with a witty title.


Lit by the soft glow of the moon, I could just make out the crevices on the surface of the well-shadowed visage and the dark feet of the crow ahead. How peculiar, that with each step closer the crevices became rifts, and rifts fissures, and with that final step, deep chasms. With a blink of my eye, they were gone. As I stood looking ahead, I saw the meaning, these were not chasms to fear, yet marks of a good life.

She smiled again and the smooth skin crinkled around her eyes, giving her a luminescence the moon herself envied.



8 comments:

  1. Great job...and I love the last two sentences. Gives the whole piece an entirely different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "giving her a luminescence the moon herself envied."

    Exactly so! One of my granddaughters has skin so transparent that we can see the veins beneath the surface. She luminesces just as you describe. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This " not chasms to fear, yet marks of a good life" is what I think we all want to realize. Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great use for the word, I love this:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks again for the great feed back guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous twist. I love how this ends

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice take.... thank you.

    ReplyDelete