Friday, July 29, 2011

The Man Who Would Be Free

It seems to have been a hectic few weeks for everyone recently, so here's hoping everyone got (or is getting) a well deserved break of some sort. Anyway, this week's 100 Word Challenge is MYTH. I didn't use the word in my entry this week but it is based on a myth, actually one of my favorite myths. I'll explain a little bit about it after this week.

For the first time in his life, he felt free. Truly and emphatically free. He was liberated from his fetters and he could finally be himself. His heart soared, and ignoring the cautious directions of his father, he flapped his wings higher, savoring the briny scent of the waters below and the invigorating caress of the gentle breeze. He paused, staring at the sun, and a feather drifted away.

As quickly as he had gained his freedom, he was stripped of it again. He plunged into the icy sea and thrashed violently to bring himself above water to no avail. 
--------------------------------------------------

So, this is very loosely based on the story of Icarus. Basically, he and his father (who just happened to be an inventor) were imprisoned by the king. Icarus's father would stare out at the birds flying through the sky while imprisoned and eventually came up with the idea to build wings of wax and bird feathers. Once they had finished making them Icarus's father said it was extremely important they not fly too close to the sun because it would melt the wax and they would fall to their deaths in the ocean below (I guess swimming lessons weren't very high on the list back in the day). So they strapped on their wings and set out, and Icarus, like any good Greek mythology character, didn't listen and paid the price. 
I think I've now officially used more words explaining the story than I used in the actual entry. Anyway, it's a great story and you should definitely read it for yourself.


4 comments:

  1. One of my favorite mythological tales. You did well with your 100 words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story of Icarus. I also love how you painted it with your 100 words. I'm glad you prefaced your post with the acknowledgment that you didn't use the word, but rather wrote to the prompt. This is a familiar myth, so I think that works in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, I remember that tale well.

    ReplyDelete